This content will be covered in more detail in a course I’m currently procrastinating the writing of. Hopefully this will help get you started!
Here’s what puzzles me: if an SEO Expert does anything that is beyond ‘best practices’ you’ll have to hire him/her again to change everything after every Google algorithm update. So why do so many people hire SEO Experts? The safer content optimization strategies are simply best practices and a little common sense.
Here’s a summary of what I’ve learned so far & 10 Tips and 10 Tips for Optimizing Content for SEO:
- First, use software that search engines (computers) can actually read. ie: WordPress (this includes all the plugins & themes that you add – are they also up to standards and securely coded?)
- Then, optimize your content so search engines (computers) can read it.
- Be clear: If you’re writing about your famous bacon salad – be sure to use the words “bacon salad” in the text somewhere!
- Use sub-titles appropriately. If it is important and on topic, put them in the proper Heading format (don’t just embolden them)
- Use ”alt” tags with images.
- Don’t use excessive images/ audio/ video so as to create slow load times.
- Use links with “title” tags.
- Use the descriptive text as the link (anchor text) instead of “click here”.
- Don’t hide your content beneath ads.
- Use proper grammar and spelling.
- Use “Rich Text Snippets” or “Microformats” (for videos, images, recipes, etc) to make it easier for the search engines to see your content.
- When writing a sponsored post or receiving compensation of any kind use no-follow (paid links give an un-natural advantage to those who have paid for them).
- Create engaging and valuable content so other sites will want to link to you.
- Link to other sites that your readers will love.
- Keep links of your most popular and engaging content on the front page.
- Use interlinking (with your own content) to give readers interesting content to read, and keep them on the site longer. Ie: your might be interested in… or Top 5 Most Popular Posts widgets.
- Use breadcrumbs.
- Refresh old content – keep revised and relevant.
- Post regularly, post often (keep your audience interested and engaged).
- Use social networks (and Google Plus).
Read further on Mashable to learn how Google is changing and adapting to ‘link building’ and other SEO tricks.