Whats a “cookie”?
Privacy Issues with Cookies
The Cookie Law and Bloggers
- that users must know of any information collected,
- the purpose of that collection and
- give permission.
How WordPress Bloggers can Comply with the Cookie Law
Surprisingly it is easy to comply! There are several plugins that do ALL of the following:
- discover all the cookies that your site is using,
- embed that information on a page on your site,
- add a permission banner on the front of your site,
- and link to the cookies information page.
Cookie Consent is not my favorite plugin because it only offers “implied consent”. Meaning the user doesn’t have to agree to anything. They exit/leave the box and that is considered / implied consent. I think it’s safer to use a plugin that offers users the option to opt-out of cookies… however I strongly recommend you check with your ad companies as I’m fairly certain that will impact them and probably your income.
Refusing Consent and Removing Cookies are two different things!
For simplicity, I would think if someone doesn’t want cookies, they can’t use your site. Or we can help – but you’ll definitely need a developer for that option.
Google Analytics Data Retention Warning
You need to have Edit permission for the property to set these options.
- 14 months
- 26 months
- 38 months
- 50 months
- Do not automatically expire