How to hire a designer for your blog
Many business owners think they can’t afford a professionally designed Web site, and that simply is not true… A well-designed Web site can bring you a many-fold return on your investment. You can’t say that about too many other collaterals. ~ Tim W. Knox, www.Entrepreneur.com
The goal of the website is usually two fold.
- a website should attract an audience and therefore sales
- a website should further the brand and educate
Before hiring, compose your answers to these questions:
- What is the purpose of starting a website?
- Who is my target audience?
- What content do I need to provide?
- What is my competition doing?
Types of designers
There are different kinds of website creators: graphic artists, website developers and internet marketers.
They all bring unique strengths to the table. A small business will want to find a website creator that has some skill in all areas to produce a site that:
- creates a positive and easy user experience
- magnifies your brand
- converts visitors to customers
Evaluate your preferred designer.
- Does the designer ask questions about your business?
- How well does she listen to your ideas?
- Is there a planning process in place?
- Is the website copy and/or graphics included?
- Who retains copyright?
- Will they provide editable source files on completion?
- Is training or maintenance included?
- What is their time frame for a completed site?
- What do they know about SEO?
- Do they handle web hosting or domains?
After the Interview:
Look at past work – is there a variety of websites representing different styles?
Speak to past clients – how smooth was the process?
How much does a website cost?
The website is an investment that should pay off rather quickly. Look for someone who can handle the project management and is a good communicator. Expect to pay from $65 – $125/hour. A 10 page website will usually cost $2,500 – $3,500. If you add email, shops, logo design and SEO services, expect a higher price.
Our templates for WordPress, without any content, starts at $1600.